Contact Name: Alyx Ruzevich
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 USA
Email Address: email@example.com
Job Title: Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps Summer Crew Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization, seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire youth members for the Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps.
Leader Position Dates: June 27 - August 14
Training Dates: tentatively June 10th – June 20th (mandatory paid training)
2019 Summer Program Cities: Philadelphia, Reading, Wilkes-Barre, Hazleton, Williamsport, Harrisburg, York, Altoona, St. Marys, Chambersburg, Wellsboro, Renovo, Pittsburgh, Greensburg, Erie and Meadville
Crew Schedule: Monday – Friday, 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
The corps works with Pennsylvania’s Department of Conservation and Natural Resources to conduct land and resource management activities in the State Park and Forest system. Crew leaders train, supervise and administer crews of 10 members, between the ages of 15 and 18, working on a variety of outdoor conservation projects, including trail maintenance, habitat restoration, invasive species removal, facility maintenance and light construction. Leaders coordinate with agency partners to plan and implement projects and work with SCA staff to manage safety, conduct and logistics in the field. Two leaders are assigned to each crew.
Specifically, the Crew Leaders will:
• Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Experience working with youth or young adults, teaching or environmental education a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training (WFA/WFR preferred)
• Must be able to attend Crew Leader training in Pennsylvania: tentatively June 10th – June 20th
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
• Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must have personal housing arrangements in the program area
Compensation: $600 per week, with paid leadership and work-skills training
Job Start Date: 6/10/2019
Application Deadline: 5/10/2019
Additional Information: To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application. Emailing is the only way to alert us that your application was submitted.
View Position Online: https://www.thesca.org/pennsylvania-outdoor-corps-summer-crew-leader
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)