Contact Name: Hannah Jo King
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 United States
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA Chicago All Women’s Conservation Crew- Project Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for the Chicago Conservation Leadership Corps summer program.
Program Dates: April 29th- November 1st
Training Dates: April 15th-26th; Monday-Friday (mandatory paid training)
Co-lead and supervise a crew of 10 young-adult women, ages 18- 25, in the completion of
various conservation projects within Chicago Park District natural areas. Crew Leaders will manage the crew in activities using hand and power tools to complete projects such as: trail/park maintenance; habitat restoration; invasive species removal; herbicide application; and leading stewardship days. Leaders will be responsible for managing the group in environmental education workshops, certificate trainings and outdoor recreation. Leaders will also be responsible for capturing project outcomes through photo documentation, data collection, reporting, and evaluations.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Must be a self-identified woman
• Experience working with youth or young adults, teaching or environmental education a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
• Must be able to attend Crew Leader training: Harrisonburg, VA: June 3rd-13th; Chicago, IL: June 18th-20th
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
• Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must be able to obtain a State of Illinois herbicide license or are willing to obtain one before program start date
• Plant identification skills and knowledge of mid-western ecology strongly preferred
Compensation: $700/week total salary, paid training, benefits eligible (health, dental, vision, retirement, PTO, paid holidays).
Job Start Date: 4/15/2019
Application Deadline: 3/15/2019
Additional Information: To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to both Daiva Gylys at email@example.com and CM Tena at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “2019 All Women’s Crew Leader”. FOR HIGHEST CONSIDERATION APPLY BY March 1st, 2019. Qualified applicants will then be asked to fill out an online application.
View Position Online: https://www.thesca.org/chicago-all-women%E2%80%99s-crew-crew-leader
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)