Contact Name: Eric Gotthold
Company/Organization/Agency: Appalachian Mountain Club
Address: POB 298, Gorham, NH 03581 USA
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (603) 466-8135
Job Title: Backcountry Hut Caretaker- Spring 2019
Job Description: Hut Caretaker- Spring Self-Service Season 2019
Work location: Backcountry Hut facilities within the White Mountain National Forest, New Hampshire
Supervision: Huts Manager and Huts Field Supervisors
Job Dates: Please make sure you are available for the entire length of a season before applying.
Long Spring: Carter Notch Hut, Zealand Falls Hut, or Lonesome Lake Hut March 21st, 2019- May 27th, 2019 Work schedule: 7 days on-7 days off
Short Spring: Mizpah Spring Hut, Galehead Hut, Greenleaf Hut April 27th, 2019- May 27th, 2019
Work schedule: 7 days a week at location, with days off to be scheduled upon job offer. Please note specifically in your application which season you are interested in being considered (long spring and/or short spring).
Hiring Timeframe: Posting will remain active until all positions are filled.
Hut Caretakers are the AMC’s primary representatives in these backcountry facilities during the self-service seasons. To assure the best possible public service, s/he must be attentive to both the care of the guests and the maintenance of the hut. Backcountry medical training (WFA, WFR) is required. Ski, snowshoe and climbing skills are desirable for some positions. All positions require the ability to travel alone in the backcountry in a variety of weather. Caretakers must be physically and mentally able to endure solitude and extreme weather conditions. All hut caretakers must be willing and able to hike long distances and carry up to 50 pounds over rugged terrain. AMC has zero tolerance for the abuse of children. Any employee with access to children will have a criminal record check performed and have references checked regarding their past work with children.
• Record daily statistics, respond to morning radio call, announce and post the weather report.
• Provide backcountry information and trail advice for guests.
• Clean the kitchen, scrub the bathrooms, and sweep all floors.
• Maintain all hut systems as directed in the Operations Manual including USFS Hut permit, regulations and responsibilities.
• Welcome overnight guests and give an official welcome and orientation talk during dinner. • Build and tend a fire in the wood stove in cold months. (Only at Lonesome, Zealand Falls, Carter Notch) • Establish a schedule for and explain kitchen use to guests.
• Sell OTC items and AMC memberships to support the AMC's public service efforts. • Complete the daily hut report.
• Be available for day visitors and overnight guests on weekends and holidays.
• Collect water and/or maintain the water hole.
• Shovel snow and remove ice from building, walkways, systems, and fire exits. • Conduct scheduled inventories of food, supplies and OTC items.
• Voluntarily provide support in Search and Rescue situations.
• Friendly, outgoing manner and commitment to public service.
• Extensive backcountry experience.
• Ability to work alone and unsupervised for long periods of time.
• WFA, WFR or WEMT certification.
• Environmental education/interpretation experience, desirable.
• Strong knowledge of White Mountains/AMC, desirable.
The Appalachian Mountain Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The AMC values diversity in the workplace. Founded in 1876, the AMC (www.outdoors.org) is the oldest conservation and recreation organization in the United States. The AMC has 12 Chapters throughout the East and over 90,000 members. The AMC promotes the protection, enjoyment, and wise use of the mountains, rivers and trails of the Appalachian region. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting, and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status.
Job Start Date: 3/31/2019
Application Deadline: 3/31/2019
Additional Information: To apply please visit: https://www.outdoors.org/jobs-employment and find the Spring Hut Caretaker posting under the "Seasonal Employment and Internships" tab. Resume/Cover letters in PDF format are preferred.
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)