Contact Name: Hannah Jo King
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 United States
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA Philadelphia Summer Conservation Crew Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization, seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire local high school students for the Philadelphia Community programs.
Program Dates: July 1st – August 11th
Training Dates: Pre-Training WFA Course: 6/7-6/10 (optional unpaid)
Crew Leader Training: 6/10-6/20 (mandatory paid)
Philadelphia Local Training/Prep: 6/24-6/28 (mandatory paid)
As a Conservation Crew Leader for the Philadelphia Program, you will guide and mentor a group of 6-10 high school students over the course of 6 weeks. As a team you will complete a variety of conservation and beautification projects in the Greater Philadelphia area including invasive species removal, trail maintenance, habitat restoration, historic preservation, and more. Your crew will be assigned to a specific environmental and outdoor recreation organization to serve as your host site. Each week, you will be responsible for coordinating environmental education and professional development lessons for your students. You will also take the lead on organizing a 2-night, 3-day camping trip at the end of the program season.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation and reporting processes, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-21), teaching or environmental education a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, gardening, etc.
• Knowledge of local environmental and social justice issues a plus
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
• Ability to work effectively as a team player and make independent decisions when necessary
• Must be able to attend Crew Leader training: 6/10-6/20
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
• Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must have personal housing arrangements in or around program city
Compensation: $600/week total salary, paid training
Job Start Date: 6/10/2019
Application Deadline: 5/1/2019
Additional Information: To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume and at least two (2) professional references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
View Position Online: https://www.thesca.org/philadelphia-summer-conservation-crew-leader
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)