Contact Name: Hannah Jo King
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 United States
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA Adirondack Corps, NY- Project Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks experienced, quality-oriented outdoor leaders to supervise 18 young adult members in the 2019 Adirondack Corps.
Program Dates: April 15th - October 18th, 2019
Corps members are responsible for completing habitat restoration, resource protection, and trail projects throughout the 6 million acre Adirondack State Park. SCA Adirondack Corps teams will use traditional trail skills, restoration techniques, carpentry skills, and hard labor to complete an array of projects. Typical projects have included, new trail construction, timber bridge construction, removal of invasive vegetation, ﬁre tower restoration, historic building restoration, and trail maintenance. The program works in partnership with the New York State Department of Conservation (DEC) and the Corporation for National and Community Service (AmeriCorps).
Specifically, the Project Leader will carry out the below functions:
• Lead and manage work outcomes and crew interpersonal dynamics
• Facilitate team operations: food planning/purchasing, tools & equipment, vehicles
• Actively manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment
• Travel to backcountry work locations to support projects and camp with teams as needed
• Supervise and assist the outdoor work skills training of corps members
• Manage the quality & technique of the work performed (e.g. trail improvement, carpentry, rigging, felling, stone and rustic timber construction projects, fire tower restoration at height)
• Actively manage risk in accordance with SCA protocols to maintain a safe work environment for program participants
• Promote leadership development within team and evaluate member success & potential
• Manage relationships with agency partners
• Work collaboratively with agency partners on program logistics
• Ensure successful and timely completion of work projects
• Assist SCA Program Manager to complete required program reporting and documentation
• Assist SCA Program Manager in budget management and reconciliation
• Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & procedures
• Represent SCA and AmeriCorps in a positive and professional manner
• Prior experience in supervising young adults in an outdoor, backcountry setting.
• Previous trail construction experience and the knowledge and ability to perform trail construction and maintenance work in both wilderness and non-wilderness settings.
• Excellent communication and leadership skills, strong work ethic are required.
• Self-starter, ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Able to carry heavy loads up to 50 pounds and be able to work in outdoor environment exposed to the elements including camping and hiking for extended periods of time. Up to 5-10 days per hitch.
• Wilderness First Responder/CPR certiﬁcation required
• Have working knowledge of safely operating power and hand-tools.
• Chainsaw experience and certiﬁcation preferred
• Rigging/Grip hoist experience preferred
• Completion of an SCA Work Skills Session preferred
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
• Must be able to meet SCA and AmeriCorps criminal background check (non-vulnerable population) standards
• Must have personal vehicle, mileage will be reimbursed at $0.50/mile
Compensation: Salary is $832 per week, paid biweekly. Meals and housing provided. Tents and group gear provided for backcountry work projects.
Job Start Date: 4/15/2019
Application Deadline: 3/1/2019
Additional Information: To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume and at least two (2) professional references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
View Position Online: https://www.thesca.org/adirondack-corps-ny-project-leader
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)