Contact Name: Alexander Stigliano
Company/Organization/Agency: Florida Trail Association
Address: 5415 SW 13 Street, Gainesville, Florida 32608 United States
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (828) 333-1529
Job Title: Technical Advisor
Job Description: Title: Technical Advisor
Time: Full Time-Seasonal
Duty Station: Gainesville, FL
Start Date: October 17, 2016
End Date: January 20, 2017
Technical Advisors are responsible for leading high quality trail work projects on the Florida Trail. The ability to effectively lead, teach, and supervise volunteer crews is an essential function of this position. The position requires regular field work alongside diverse groups of volunteers on a variety of projects.
Technical Advisors will work alongside FTA chapter volunteers, alternative break crews, university groups, BSA Troops, and others. Work projects vary in length from 2-10 days in front and backcountry locations. Generally, trail work consists of corridor brushing with hand tools and mechanized equipment. Infrastructure construction, repair, and removal can also be expected.
Technical Advisors should have a broad trail work background and excellent trail construction, crew leading, and trail layout experience.
• Supervise and work alongside volunteer crews on a variety of projects on the Florida Trail
• Verify trail conditions as much as possible and notify Regional Representatives about access issues, safety concerns, threats, and changes to the trail
• Teach excellent trail maintenance, construction, and crew leading skills
• Manage pre and post project logistics
• Ensure a high quality experience for volunteers on FTA projects
• Serve as a technical resource to agencies and partners in the areas of trail project management • Oversee construction and maintenance of trail infrastructure
• Two years professional trail work experience or five years working alongside volunteers • Able to teach, motivate, inspire, and learn from volunteers
• Exceptional trail maintenance, design, and construction skills
• Have a dependable personal vehicle
• Able to work effectively as part of a team
• Ability to solve problems, work independently and be resourceful
• Wilderness First Responder and CPR or higher certification • Chainsaw class “B” or “C” operator
• Experience using GIS software and Trimble units
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Technical Advisors are under the general supervision of FTA regional representatives. This position is non- traditional and requires field work as well as frequent weekend and overnight travel. The work area will include all regions of the Florida Trail.
This position will involve strenuous activities. Technical Advisors will spend time in remote locations, camping out overnight or hiking in inclement weather. The position involves working with hand tools and advanced machinery generally found in trail maintenance including but not limited to; rigging equipment, chainsaws, brush saws, hand saws, loppers, and axes. The ability to lift up to forty five pounds and hike up to twelve miles a day on and off trail may be necessary.
A dependable personal vehicle is required and mileage will be reimbursed at the current federal rate.
The work season for this position is from October 17, 2016 to January 20, 2017.
Pay for this position is $600/wk, paid bi-weekly. Housing options are available at no cost, and vary by project location—from furnished bunkhouses to front country campsites.
Please email letter of interest, resume, and the contact info for three professional references to Alex Stigliano at email@example.com
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
The Florida Trail Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Start Date: 10/17/2016
Application Deadline: 1/20/2017