Contact Name: Kady Tucker
Company/Organization/Agency: Forest Park Conservancy
Address: 210 NW 17th Ave., Suite 201, Portland, Oregon 97209 USA
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (503) 223-5449
Job Title: Trails Assistant
Job Description: Title: Trails Assistant
Reports to: Trails Manager
Supervises: Not applicable
Work Schedule: 40hrs per week
Classification: Seasonal, Non-Exempt
Work Location: Workday starts at 2960 NW Upshur St, Portland, Ore., 97210
Forest Park Conservancy seeks two Trails Assistants to support the Conservancy’s mission to protect and restore Forest Park for future generations.
Forest Park Conservancy (FPC) protects and fosters the ecological health of Forest Park, maintains and enhances the park's extensive trails network, and inspires community appreciation and future stewardship of the splendor of this iconic, urban wilderness as a gift for generations. Each year, we work with over 1,000 volunteers to maintain trails, remove invasive species and plant native trees and shrubs. FPC is leading a 20-year campaign to restore 15,000 acres of public and private to ensure the long-term health of Forest Park.
The Trails Assistant is responsible for working with FPC staff and volunteers to keep Forest Park's 80 miles of soft-surface trails and access roads safe and accessible by performing trail maintenance and special trail projects. This is a physically demanding position with a strong technical field component.
Trail Maintenance and Repair
• Assess trail conditions, prioritize, plan and carry out trail maintenance and repair of Forest Park’s 47 miles of soft-surface trails. Maintenance and repair includes tread work, brushing, raking, logouts, new trail construction, rock retaining wall construction and repair, turnpike, drainage, bridge, and split rail fence construction and trail decommissioning.
• Assist with natural area restoration work as needed, including invasive species removal and native plantings
• Manage inventory of tools and supplies
• Maintain and/or operate tools and equipment, including hand tools, small power tools, power wheelbarrows, crosscut saws, and chainsaws
• Train and lead interns and volunteers
• Help lead weekly volunteer events
• 1-2 year(s) experience working on trail systems or in a related field
• Basic understanding and skills conducive to design, construction, and maintenance of soft surface trails
• Experience working and communicating with volunteers
• CPR Certified / Wilderness First Responder
• Flexible, helpful and a good communicator
• Organized, hardworking and able to plan and think holistically in an outdoor, natural area setting
• Comfortable with hand tools
• Comfortable with small power equipment and familiarity with chainsaws.
• Comfortable traveling through the outdoors and working in all weather conditions and terrain
• Ability to understand and discuss project plans and logistics with confidence.
• Follow through with efficient work practices, logistics, and methods.
• Experience and proficiency working in small groups/teams.
• Ability to quickly memorize Forest Park trail system, geography, and road map.
• Practice safe and responsible work habits with an eye towards preventative safety.
• Positive and balanced attitude and energy level.
• Confidently interact with volunteers and the public while representing Forest Park Conservancy in a professional manner.
• Driver's license and clean driving record plus experience driving full size pickup trucks.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Benefits: Sick time in compliance with the Portland Protected Sick Time Ordinance
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Trails Assistant” in the subject line.
Applications accepted until May 14th, 2018 at 11:59pm.
Forest Park Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection of candidates for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, military service, family medical history, legal source of income, gender identity, political affiliation, or family leave obligations.
Job Start Date: 6/4/2018
Application Deadline: 4/30/2018
Additional Information: https://www.forestparkconservancy.org/tales-from-the-trails/job-opening-seasonal-trails-staff
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)