Contact Name: Grace Larsen
Company/Organization/Agency: Friends of Nevada Wilderness
Address: PO Box 33155, Las Vegas, NV 89133 United States
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (702) 515-5417
Job Title: AmeriCorps Stewardship Associate - Southern Nevada 300 Hour
Job Description: Friends of Nevada Wilderness
AmeriCorps Stewardship Associate (Southern Nevada)
300 Hour AmeriCorps Position Description
Host Site Supervisor: Grace Larsen, Friends of Nevada Wilderness
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Position: Average 40 hours per week/300 hours total
Duration: June 1, 2019 – August 15, 2019
Join Friends of Nevada Wilderness to participate in fun and rewarding trailwork projects with volunteers in southern Nevada. You’ll gain valuable knowledge in trailwork techniques, land management, and people management while building relationships with volunteers, agency employees, and the conservation community. Apply and help us keep Nevada wild!
Friends of Nevada Wilderness (Friends) is seeking an AmeriCorps Stewardship Associate for our 2019 trailwork season. The Stewardship Associate will inspire passion, appreciation, and stewardship of public lands across Nevada. The candidate will assist in implementing stewardship projects, including recruiting and managing volunteers. The candidate will also help manage basecamp, record accomplishments, and complete data entry. The Stewardship Associate must be able to work both independently with minimal supervision and cooperatively as a member of a team.
Most of the stewardship work will consist of trailwork projects in Mt. Charleston Wilderness, in the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area. Trailwork is demanding and will involve removing downed trees, building rock walls, cutting tread, and designing water bars. The Stewardship Associate must be able to hike up to 10 miles at high elevations (7,500 – 10,000 ft) on challenging terrain while carrying a heavy pack. Trailwork projects will also involve camping in the backcountry for multiple nights at a time.
A secondary component will consist of attending outreach events and assisting the Communications and Media Coordinator with hosting the monthly Wild Speaker Series. This may also include speaking at public events and tabling at various locations to recruit volunteers and promote the work Friends does.
This position does not have recurring access to vulnerable populations.
The candidate will report to the southern Nevada office, located in northwest Las Vegas, with travel to areas within a 2-hour drive of the Vegas Valley. Due to the remote nature of the work sites, camping will be required some nights during the week and weekend at undeveloped, backcountry recreation sites. Reliable transportation to trailheads and office location is essential.
• Assist in leading trailwork projects in Mt. Charleston Wilderness, mostly in backcountry settings where hiking up to 10 miles and carrying heavy loads may be required.
• Manage and support volunteers in remote locations, keeping them comfortable, enthused, and safe.
• Promote and maintain an exceptionally safe environment by implementing Friends safety protocols, guidelines, and policies.
• Accurate and timely input of data and preparation of project files.
• Participate in volunteer recruitment activities, such as tabling and community events and hosting the Wild Speaker Series.
• Keep tools and safety equipment clean and in working order at all times.
• Collaborate with management agencies to ensure proper implementation of projects.
• Build trails by removing downed trees, cutting tread, designing water bars, building rock walls, and coaching volunteers.
• Establish an overnight camp and cook group meals.
• Share membership opportunities with volunteers.
• 18 years of age or older.
• U.S. citizen or equivalent.
• High school diploma/GED.
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
• Ability to hike up to ten miles per day with a 40 lb. pack.
• Personal hiking and backpacking equipment required.
• Flexibility to work non-traditional hours, including nights and weekends. *
• Basic computer skills - Word, Excel, Data Entry.
• Excellent communication and “customer service” skills.
• Enjoy the outdoors – due to the remote nature of work sites, backcountry camping will be required.
• Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
• Nevada Outdoor School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status or age in its programs, activities or in its hiring and employment practices.
• This AmeriCorps program is made possible by a generous grant from the Nevada Volunteers.
• There is no housing or transportation (except transportation to stewardship projects and events from the office) provided with this position.
• If selected, you will be required to submit your driving record.
• AmeriCorps members are expected to wear AmeriCorps logo or apparel while serving.
• The member will participate in three service days with Nevada Outdoor School’s AmeriCorps Program and other community-wide events throughout the service year. Additionally, the member will participate in regular team meetings and trainings twice a month on Fridays at 9:00 am at the Nevada Outdoor School office, 655 Anderson St, Winnemucca, NV or via conference call. Members may not miss more than 2 team meetings per term.
• This description lists the minimum service requirements.
• Total hours per week: 40 hours
To Apply: Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line AmeriCorps Stewardship Associate – Southern Nevada 300 hour. Please contact Grace Larsen at (702) 515-5417 with any questions.
*Note: The AmeriCorps member responsibilities require a flexible schedule to be determined weekly or monthly with their supervisor. This position requires frequent weekend work.
Job Start Date: 6/1/2019
Application Deadline: 5/15/2019
Additional Information: https://www.nevadawilderness.org/employment
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)