Contact Name: Hannah Jo King
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 United States
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA Los Padres Fuels Reduction Project Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire four students for the Los Padres Fuels Reduction program.
Program Dates: September 16 – December 1, 2018
Training Dates: August 20 – August 31, 2018 (tentative)
Program Location: Frazier Park, CA
• Act as a Crew Manager guiding crew dynamics and facilitating teamwork
• Function as a Technical Advisor assisting in training corps members to complete quality work
• Serve as a Partnership Representative managing relationships with agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget
Wildfires have been a persistent threat to residents of southern California, with every year being more challenging than the previous. The 2017 Thomas Fire burned over 280,000 acres and destroyed over 1,000 structures, making it the largest wildfire in California history proved that very problem true. To help deal with the increasing danger of wildfires, SCA has been partnering with the Los Padres National Forest on their fuels mitigation program to help reduce the amount of overgrowth of vegetation on the forest. This overgrowth is a major contributing factor to increasing intensity of wildfires over the years. This fuels reduction project not only will help reduce the risk of wildfires in the area, but also help restore the forest to a more natural state, one where wildfires can help sustain the health of the forest rather than destroy it.
The Los Padres National Forest Fuels Reduction Team will consist of four members and one Project Leader. The Team will work primarily on fuels reduction work, by chainsaw or other means, and could also work on other projects as assigned. Participants should be ready for steep terrain and to carry heavy packs. The weather will vary from hot and dry to cool and wet. Poison Oak will also be present in work areas.
The Team will also live together, possibly camping for the duration of the season. Members should be willing to be a part of a community and to help out with chores and participate in activities outside of the work projects.
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US.
• Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
• Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: August 20 – August 31 2018 (tentative)
• Current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and CPR certification required by the start of training
• Experience working with youth or young adults ages 18-25, teaching in an educational environment a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Current chainsaw certification preferred
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Able to camp for the duration of the program
Compensation: $600/week total salary
Job Start Date: 8/20/2018
Application Deadline: 8/1/2018
Additional Information: To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume and at least two (2) professional references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
View Position: https://www.thesca.org/los-padres-fuels-reduction-project-leader
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)