Contact Name: Kurt Schrammel
Company/Organization/Agency: International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA)
Address: PO Box 20280, Boulder, CO 80308 USA
Email Address: email@example.com
Job Title: Trail Specialist
Job Description: REPORTS TO: Trail Solutions Director of Construction and Operations
Trail Solutions Director of Planning and Design
The TRAIL SPECIALIST is a full-time, non-exempt, hourly paid position responsible for assisting Trail Solutions (TS) with trail construction and operation duties. Work includes hand tool use, equipment operation, evaluation of trail, tool and equipment maintenance; performing marketing, administrative, and education tasks; and executing scopes of work. A TRAIL SPECIALIST works with both Directors of Trail Solutions, Project Managers, other TS and IMBA staff, subconsultants and subcontractors, clients, and the general public to help further IMBA’s overall mission. A TRAIL SPECIALIST should have a keen sense of customer service as well as a desire to always represent IMBA in a positive manner. The position assumes a variable schedule depending on workload and ability to travel, from 0 – 60+ hours per week depending on availability and project schedules. Extensive travel is required to maintain a full time schedule.
The TRAIL SPECIALIST position is a remote home based position requiring frequent travel throughout the United States with occasional international opportunities.
The TRAIL SPECIALIST position is paid an hourly rate based on experience. Full-time employees are eligible for paid vacation & sick days, health insurance support, and other benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist with implementation of projects and creating positive relationships with clients (including other IMBA staff) and potential clients.
• Respond to inquiries regarding consulting and construction services.
• Provide Trail Solutions Directors, and TS Project Managers with project status updates.
• Design and construct trails and features per specifications and clients expectations.
• Purchase and ensure that materials are on-site as needed.
• Perform and inspect work for compliance with terms and specifications of contract.
• Work independently in a variety of situations including trail construction, and volunteer organizing.
• Support other TS staff in the completion of duties.
• Evaluate TS staff and provide feedback as requested.
● Maintain positive representation of IMBA at all times.
● Manage information and data storage/sharing.
● Evaluate TS program and provide feedback as requested.
● Implement policies, procedures, and risk management and safety guidelines for the Trail Solution program.
● 90% of hours devoted to contracted project tasks, deliverables, and management.
● 10% of time supporting IMBA’s mission with non-billable actions like public presentations, meeting with chapters, attending conferences, and professional development.
● Broad experience in mountain biking and cycling
● Experience working in a team environment
● Experience with the planning, design, construction, maintenance, and management of mountain bicycle facilities.
● Advanced riding skills including the ability to ride technical or jump trails.
● Experience working with managing projects and personnel at private consulting/contracting firms.
● Experience working with land management agencies and other government entities.
● Strong communication (written and verbal) skills.
● Personable and able to work within a customer service based environment.
● Possess a valid drivers license.
● Competent in a variety of office-based software systems (e.g., MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, timecard systems)
● Ability to work outdoors for long hours performing manual labor and operating equipment
● Exhibit a range from competent to proficient operation of mini-excavators, mini-skid loaders, and various mechanical and manual trail building tools
● Familiar with machine and tool preventative maintenance techniques
● Familiarity working in a not-for-profit business environment and with volunteer advocates
● Possess a strong attention to detail
● Ability to take written and verbal direction from IMBA staff, Trail Solutions staff, and clients to complete project goals
● Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
● Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
● Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
● Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
● Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
● Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Frequently required to stand, sit, walk, crouch, climb, squat.
• Frequently required to walk on uneven or unstable surfaces.
• Frequently required to sit.
• Frequently required to hike 1-4 miles a day.
• Frequently required to travel and work remotely.
• Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
• Occasionally required to hike 8-10 miles per day.
• Occasionally required to mountain bike trail ride 25+ miles per day.
• Frequently required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl.
• Continually required to talk or hear.
• Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
• Occasionally work near moving mechanical parts.
• Occasionally work in high, precarious places.
• Frequently required to lift and carry 25lbs.
• Occasionally required to lift 50lbs repeatedly.
• Occasionally required to lift 100lbs.
• Occasionally work around fumes, airborne particles, or toxic chemicals.
• Continually exposed to outside weather conditions.
• Frequent exposure to extreme heat or cold.
• The majority of work occurs outdoors in remote locations.
• While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, can be very loud when working on construction projects.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include: Close vision; Distance vision; Color vision; Peripheral vision; Depth perception and ability to adjust focus
• Occasionally required to differentiate between orange, pink, and red marking flags.
• Specialized equipment, machines, or vehicles used: GPS units, Clinometer, Mountain Bike
• Extended travel including driving and flying. Travel can occur anywhere in the world
IMBA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, IMBA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Start Date: 6/1/2018
Application Deadline: 4/30/2018
Additional Information: Job Start Date is approximated.
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)