Contact Name: Timothy Wermers
Company/Organization/Agency: Iowa DNR Trails Program
Address: 8796 NW 125th Ave, Polk City, IA 50226 United States
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (515) 577-3009
Job Title: AmeriCorps Trail Crew Leader
Job Description: AmeriCorps Position- Trail Crew Leader
Location – Based out of Big Creek State Park, Polk City, IA
Start Date – November 18, 2016 End Date – November 16, 2017
Job Description – Become a member of the DNR Keepers of the Land AmeriCorps Trail Crew! Restore and maintain trails in Iowa’s state parks. This will require performing a variety of skilled and semi-skilled maintenance and technical tasks.
Restore and construct trails in Iowa’s parks statewide using hand tools and light equipment.
Build erosion control structures such as pedestrian bridges, boardwalks, retaining walls, and staircases using a wide range of materials.
Maintain program equipment.
Restore native ecosystems and prairies.
Provide leadership to the summer trail crew.
Design and implement AmeriCorps community service projects.
Generate and organize volunteers.
Be prepared for disaster relief deployment.
Work as a team with DNR staff
Fulfill all required AmeriCorps program activities as outlined in the member handbook and contract
Trail Crew life is both challenging and rewarding. Our members have the opportunity to job shadow and collaborate with DNR specialists, camp in Iowa state parks, and work outdoors!
This position is for a one year term with health, life and dental benefits. AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance and an education award at the successful completion of service.
12 Month (1700 hour) Position
$13,141.18 Living Stipend divided and paid every two weeks during service.
$5,775 Education award at the successful completion of service.
• Must submit to and pass a state and federal background check as well as a check on the National Sex Offender Registry.
• Must be available for all training as required.
• Must be a United States citizen, United States national or legal permanent resident alien.
• Must have a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
• Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
• Capable of lifting loads up to 70 lbs. for short periods of time.
• The ability to work cooperatively under stressful working conditions.
• Must demonstrate teamwork and display high standards of ethical conduct.
• Willingness to learn preventive maintenance for machines and equipment used on the job.
• Willingness and ability to commute and live at state parks across Iowa for the duration of the work week.
• Regular, full time attendance is required.
• Capacity to adjust to change.
• Capable of using a variety of hand and/or power tools.
• Ability to produce quality work in a timely manner.
• Willingness to work extended hours and occasional weekends.
• Able to withstand physically demanding work, including lifting, bending, or hauling
• Follow policy and cooperate with supervisors and co-workers
• Exhibits honesty and integrity.
• Works and communicates with internal and external clients and customers to meet their needs in a polite, courteous and cooperative manner.
• Displays a high level of initiative, effort and commitment towards completing assignments efficiently.
• Aligns behavior with needs, priorities, and goals of the organization.
Post Close Date: November 5, 2016
To apply: Log on to: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/join-americorps
For more information about these AmeriCorps position please contact Tim Wermers at Timothy.Wermers@dnr.iowa.gov or 515-725-8492. More information about AmeriCorps can be found at www.americorps.gov
Job Start Date: 11/18/2016
Application Deadline: 11/5/2016