Contact Name: Peggy Schneider
Company/Organization/Agency: Milwaukee County Department of Parks, Recreation & Culture
Address: 9480 W. Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226 US
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (414) 257-4785
Job Title: Trails Coordinator
Job Description: Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Land Use Planning, Natural Science, or a closely related field required. Some full-time, supervisory work experience with landscaping and/or trail construction required. Note: DATCP Pesticide Applicator’s License 6.0, Wisconsin Commercial Driver’s License class B, First Aid and CPR Certification required within six (6) months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of Manual of the Uniform Control Devices (MUTCD) and how it relates to accommodating bicyclists and pedestrians. Knowledge of American with Disabilities Act and the Federal Guidelines for Outdoor Developed Areas, specifically Trails Accessibility. Knowledge of American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) and how to properly maintain hardsurface trails. Knowledge and Experience in sustainable trail design theory. Strong public speaking skills with small and large groups. Knowledge and experience in ArcGIS.
Job Summary: Responsible for management of the trail system, both hard and soft surfaces, with multiple user types; provides field supervision in the day-to-day operation and maintenance of trails, collaborates with partners involved in trails, and administers the Milwaukee County Trails Network Plan and other trail policies; preserve and enhance department assets; ensure quality service and product delivery.
• Trail Oversight and Maintenance; Conducts periodic surveys of the Milwaukee County's Trails for vegetation clearance, adequate sight-lines, surface conditions, drainage. Understands and implements sustainable trail practices. Installs and maintains trail signs and other wayfinding means.
• Administration; Request Utility hotlines. Record and maintain work progress, survey results, map information. Maintain email and phone correspondence. Submit various reports and documentation. Supports internal and external partnerships. Order materials and supplies.
• Education and Outreach; Represents Milwaukee County Parks at the City of Milwaukee Bike and Pedestrian Task Force. Lead and administer the Milwaukee County Trails Council. Maintain and update sign plan, and kiosks information. Conduct educational and informational presentations on community outreach, event development, and volunteer supervision.
• Training and Coordination; Train and coordinate employees and volunteers on their roles as they relate to the Park Department’s Trails Network and sustainable soft trail design and development. Work with other government entities in the County, Southeastern Wisconsin, and the state of Wisconsin. Develop Adopt-a-Trail program.
• Data Collection and Grant Writing; Collects users data by means of trail count and user surveys. Gathers GPS/GIS information to develop maps using ArcGIS Update trail maps. Utilizes data and information to develop reports and apply for grants that support the trail systems.
• Planning and Technical Support; Review plans for modification of existing or development of new trails. Assist in developing walk through punch list and review new trail installation. Assist with the Planning Department in developing periodic audits and make recommendations for replacement schedule or resurfacing.
• Special assignment and projects; Participate on special project teams; community outreach efforts; and other duties as assigned.
• Trail Maintenance; Maintenance of both hard and soft surface trails. Supervises and participates in trail maintenance and construction of soft trails. Maintains the Department’s equipment cache in good repair.
Job Start Date: 9/12/2016
Application Deadline: 8/28/2016
Additional Information: To apply, go to Milwaukee County Career Website