Contact Name: Ama Koenigshof
Company/Organization/Agency: New York-New Jersey Trail Conference
Address: 600 Ramapo Valley Rd, Mahwah, NJ 07430 USA
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (616) 337-2481
Job Title: Field Manager
Job Description: The New York-New Jersey Trail Conference is seeking a Field Manager to expand our trail expertise capacity. This position will provide layout and design, trail solutions, technical trail building expertise and support, construction management, and training to volunteers and Corps members. The position will report to the Trail Builder/Educator and work closely with Trail Conference staff, volunteers and numerous partner agencies and contracted clients.
The Trail Conference specializes in trail construction workshops that combine professionals and volunteers to produce award-winning trails and experienced volunteer trail builders. The right candidate is an expert trail designer and builder who can function as both a trainer and crew manager. The candidate must be committed to building crews through training, mentoring and ongoing support.
Trail Design and Layout, Trail Solutions, and Consultations:
Design sustainable trail systems and segments and propose sustainable trail solutions based on stakeholder input. Create professional-level trail plans, feasibility studies, and estimates. Develop scopes of work, detailed work logs, schedules, and terms for contracts. Candidates should be comfortable fully explaining and defending their proposals to all stakeholders.
Work closely with NYNJTC staff and partners to coordinate a comprehensive training program. Candidates should be knowledgeable and comfortable organizing and teaching basic and advanced trail design and construction, stone work, rigging, tool and equipment use and safety, wetland construction and other necessary courses.
Manage trail projects and contracts involving volunteers to the greatest extent possible in order to provide productive, educational and rewarding experiences for volunteers and corps members. Instruct and line out corps members in daily construction tasks including tool and equipment maintenance and repair.
Assist in the oversight of the planning and implementation of trail projects with agency partners, lead volunteers, and NYNJTC staff. Develop scopes of work and schedules. Manage projects within planned budgets and present progress reports for stakeholders. Track projects through regular budget/progress updates, photo documentation, and reports. Develop and implement risk management plans for all projects and be on call during the trail construction seasons for technical and urgent situations. Procurement of materials and supplies needed.
Work closely with administrative tasks to insure invoicing and payroll is completed promptly and accurately. Maintain a collaborative relationship with NYNJTC staff, agency partners, lead volunteers, and subcontractors to insure the smooth operation of trail projects.
• Four field seasons of trail experience with a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of trail design, layout, construction, and safety techniques.
• Two seasons of experience leading trail crews.
• Proven experience with trail design and layout, estimating time, materials and costs, including the successful on time and on budget completion of trail projects.
• Demonstrated ability to educate trail crews and volunteers and effectively instruct others in trail work techniques, practices and standards, tool use, safety, and teamwork.
• Experience working with a wide variety of volunteer, field staff, agency personnel, contractors, recreational users and other stakeholders to accomplish trail projects.
• Skills in safe use, operation and maintenance of vehicles, hand tools, chainsaws, brush cutters, helical pier drivers, power carriers and other mechanical equipment. Must have expertise with rigging equipment, setting up and supervising highline operations, using mechanized as well as hand winches, carpentry, technical rockwork including stone stairs, crib wall, and stone splitting and shaping.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision while maintaining effective communications with the rest of the team.
• Ability to regularly carry 50 pounds in mountain terrain, and work under physically demanding conditions, including cold and wet weather.
• Experience using Windows, Word, PowerPoint and Excel or equivalents.
• Must have valid drivers license with insurable driving record.
• Wilderness First Aid (or higher) and CPR training (training can be provided for the right candidate).
Based in Mahwah, New Jersey, this is a part-time temporary position beginning in September 2016 through April 2017. It offers a competitive salary and substantial potential for professional growth.
To apply, please submit the following items via email attachments (start all attachment filenames with your last name) to email@example.com Subject line: Field Manager: “Your Last Name”
All application materials will be kept confidential.
1. A professional resume
2. A cover letter addressing why you are interested in this position and why we should be interested in you
3. Contact information for three references
4. Your salary requirements or history
5. Be able/willing to participate in a local field test.
This position is available until filled. Candidate interviews will begin immediately and continue until an offer is made. No Calls Please. Check the www.nynjtc.org/job-openings to determine if the position is filled.
Job Start Date: 9/30/2016
Application Deadline: 9/20/2016
Additional Information: Check the www.nynjtc.org/job-openings to determine if the position is filled.