Contact Name: Zac Ballard
Company/Organization/Agency: NYS Parks
Address: Robert H Treman State Park, 105 Enfield Falls Road, Ithaca, NY 14850 United States
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (607) 437-8566
Job Title: Regional Trail Crew Member
Job Description: Finger Lakes Parks Regional Trail Crew Member
Time Frame: Year-round, subject to furlough
Deadline to Apply: Applications will be reviewed until positions are filled
Work Schedule: Monday-Thursday 7:00 - 5:30, 40 hrs/week
Hourly Rate: $17.63
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) in the Finger Lakes Region is seeking one seasonal Trail Crew Member to aid in the maintenance and construction of trails within the Finger Lakes State Parks. The Trail Crew Member will work both independently and as part of a team to perform a wide range of trail maintenance and construction tasks throughout the region. Projects include new trail construction, tread and drainage improvements, dimensional lumber stairs and retaining walls, stone staircases and retaining walls, bridge construction, hazard tree removal, and general facilities maintenance. Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions, with both hand and power tools. The position requires work on uneven and steep terrain, carrying and moving tools, materials, and equipment of 50 pounds or more.
The Trail Crew member will work under the direction of the Regional Trails Coordinator. The position will require supervision of two seasonal crew members, two SCA Parks Corps trail stewards, with occasional leadership of volunteer crews and conservation corps teams. The position reports to Robert H. Treman State Park in Ithaca, NY.
• At least three seasons of experience with outdoor labor, particularly trail maintenance and construction
or any of the following: dry stone masonry, carpentry, landscaping, general construction.
• At least two seasons of experience with leading trail construction crews and managing project
• Ability to demonstrate safe working practices.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to be professional and represent a state agency
• Experience with trail related tools including: shovels, picks, rock bars, Rogue hoes, chainsaws,
gas augers, rock drills, stone shaping tools.
• Experience operating light equipment such as skid steer, mini-excavators, and UTV’s
• Experience working with winches, rope work and high-line rigging systems, or arborist work
• Knowledge of sustainable trail layout and structural design
• Game of Logging Certified
• Experience with leading paid or volunteer trail crews
• Leadership, volunteer coordination, and project management experience
If interested, please submit a resume and letter of intent to:
Trails Coordinator– Finger Lakes Region
New York State Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
105 Enfield Falls Road, Ithaca, NY 14850
Cell: 607-437-8566 | email@example.com | www.nysparks.com
Job Start Date: 10/3/2019
Application Deadline: 10/2/2019
Additional Information: https://parks.ny.gov/employment/park-employment.aspx
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)