Contact Name: Hannah Jo King
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 United States
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA National Crew Leader- Summer 2019
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students in National Parks across the U.S.
Program Dates: June - August (exact dates depend on program)
Training Dates: TBA (mandatory paid training)
Application Timeline: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, interviews take place Jan-April 2019
National Conservation Crews consist of two leaders and a crew of 6-8 high school volunteers, ages 15-19. Crews live and work in spectacular National and State parks, forests & preserves across the United States. Two leaders camp with their crew in frontcountry or backcountry sites and work to complete conservation projects in trail building & maintenance or invasive species control. Typical programs are 2 to 5 weeks in length, starting at the beginning of June and going through the end of August.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Experience working with youth or young adults (preferrably ages 15-19), teaching or environmental education a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills is preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, construction, landscaping, and gardening
• Experience with outdoor living skills – i.e. camping (two weeks or more), hiking, safety awareness, leave no trace, camping, basic map/compass skills
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) or Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification required by the start of training
• Must be able to attend Crew Leader training: Dates and Locations TBA
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
• Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
Compensation: $600/week total salary; paid leadership and conservation work skills training; also includes travel to/from the worksite, group gear, and meals
Job Start Date: 6/1/2018
Application Deadline: 4/30/2018
Additional Information: To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume and at least two (2) professional references. Once your application is complete, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
View Position: https://www.thesca.org/national-crew-leader-summer-2019
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)