Contact Name: Melissa Knight
Company/Organization/Agency: Pitkin County
Address: 530 E Main Street, Aspen, CO 81611 United States
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (970) 429-2793
Job Title: Trails Specialist
Job Description: SUMMARY:
Under general supervision, this position serves to expand Pitkin County’s trail and bike park stewardship program, develop and implement park design, manage construction, and facilitate maintenance projects. Will direct the work of volunteers and personnel assigned to trail and park construction, maintenance, repair, and restoration. Duties may vary according to job assignment.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Executes successful trail construction, specialized maintenance, and improvement projects on county managed natural surface multi-use singletrack trails and bike parks; uses mechanized excavation equipment including chainsaw equipment and hand tools; ensures best practices and developed procedures are practiced and adhered to for all trail and bike park projects.
• Performs multiple tasks involved with trail care and property maintenance; coordinates trash removal, sign installation and repair, building structures, maintenance of current and new structures, and other necessary activities.
• Supervises and performs a variety of duties pertaining to the implementation of management plans, recreation, and natural resource management; directs, assigns, and supervises daily tasks of trail maintenance crew and anticipates problems, mitigates hazards, and ensures safe working conditions.
• Performs trails assessment to accesses maintenance needs and potential improvements concerning trail user safety, user experience, and opportunities to mitigate trail user conflicts; assists in trail project planning, design, and development; contributes to the annual work plan for trails construction and maintenance.
• Plans, manages, and coordinates volunteer trail work events in conjunction with OST Resource, Trails Manager, and RFOV Volunteer Coordinators; tracks and records work progress and volunteer time; works closely with project partners and volunteer staff to coordinate and communicate project logistics and to fulfill project expectations; participates in the preparation of the stewardship and trails budget.
• Demonstrates safety and mechanical aptitude for a variety of heavy machinery and equipment; inspects and maintains various tools and equipment to ensure a high level of functionality and safety.
• Promotes crew development through training, education, demonstration, and follow through; cultivates a positive environment for the various crews involved in trail construction and maintenance.
• Supports the positive relationship between Pitkin County and the general public by representing the county with professional and courteous behavior at all times; maintains confidentiality of work related issues and sensitive information.
• Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
Job Start Date: 4/23/2018
Application Deadline: 3/16/2018
Additional Information: Please apply here:
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)