Contact Name: Hannah Jo King
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 United States
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA California Conservation Corps Team- Project Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire Young Adults for the Lassen Conservation Corps programs.
Program Dates: ¬ May 2019 to September 2019
Training Dates: ¬ April 22, 2019 to May 3, 2019 (some ﬂexibility)
As a Project Leader, you will oversee the management of a five-month trail project in partnership with the Lassen National Forest of northern California. This project will aim to address a backcountry trail system that has suffered severe damage from multiple wildfires.
The Lassen Trail Corps will undertake two trail maintenance projects on the Lassen National Forest. Both trails have suffered major damage from multiple fires dating back to 2000. As a result, the original trails have become overgrown, and in some places, have become unrecognizable and inaccessible to the public.
The SCA crew will work in partnership with the US Forest Service to reestablish the two trails and make them safe for users. Work projects may include (but not limited to), scouting and establishing the correct trail alignment, building new trail, logging out downed trees, building erosion control structures, establishing switch backs, and other trail maintenance activities.
The Team will also live together, possibly camping for the duration of the season. Field-life is rugged, members should expect to live without electricity, running water, and cell phone reception for much of the project. Many of the crew’s work sites are only accessible by UTV, so crew members should also expect to pack light, but prepared to live and work in the elements. Members should be willing to be a part of a community and to help out with chores and participate in activities outside of the work projects.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, managing crew housing, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Experience working with youth or young adults (18 or older), teaching or environmental education a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Backcountry Trail work experience is preferred
• ATV or UTV driving experience or certification is a plus
• Chainsaw certification is a plus
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification required by the start of training
• Must be able to attend Crew Leader training: April 8, 2019 to April 19, 2019
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
• Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
Compensation: $600/week total salary, paid training, travel to training and site locations provided
Job Start Date: 5/1/2019
Application Deadline: 5/1/2019
Additional Information: View Position Online: https://www.thesca.org/lassen-trail-corps-project-leader
To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application. Emailing is the only way to alert us that your application was submitted.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)