Contact Name: Ryan Banks
Company/Organization/Agency: Rocky Mountain Youth Corps
Address: 991 Captain Jack Drive, Steamboat Springs, Colorado 80487 United States
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (970) 879-2135
Job Title: Field Coordinator
Job Description: ROCKY MOUNTAIN YOUTH CORPS
Position: Field Coordinator
Location: Office in Steamboat Springs, CO. Crews will work all throughout northwest Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah.
Tentative Schedule: April 30th – Mid October
*Summer season ends Mid-August. Fall opportunities include continuing to Field Coordinate for our Fall Season Conservation Corps OR working as a Camp/Resource Specialist for our Yampa Valley Science School program.
Plus: Food allowance, lodging (we have a heated wall tent, access to a full kitchen and shower facilities on the RMYC campus), transportation, recreation and education opportunities.
Essential Job Function:
The employee in this position will provide leadership and support for multiple crews of approximately 10 youth or adults (10-18 or 18-25 years old) in a 24/7 crew setting. The position requires preparation time, oversight of crew rigging and de-rigging, post session clean-up and hands on project work throughout the season. Field Coordinator’s will be expected to provide leadership[ and skills training to crews in the field throughout the season. The Field Coordinator will assist with set up and implementation of preseason training for Crew Leaders and Assistant Leaders. The Field Coordinator may perform the duties of this position in several different settings including desert, mountain and alpine environments. The position requires extensive bending, lifting, pushing, stooping, carrying and other heavy physical labor for extended periods of time. Field Coordinators may be required to carry a backpack with personal and/or group essentials for extended periods of time or long distances. Field Coordinators may be required to carry hand tools and equipment for extended periods of time or long distances. The nature of the work environment requires that Field Coordinators utilize appropriate safety equipment such as leather gloves, hardhat, long pants, long sleeved shirts and protective glasses.
Field Coordinators will be expected to participate fully in conservation projects with the crews that they visit. They will monitor projects and provide on-site training when necessary. The types of projects performed by each crew vary with crew schedule and location. Project types may include: trail maintenance, trail construction, fence construction, noxious weed eradication, habitat rehabilitation, park clean-up, fuels reduction and other conservation work. Field Coordinators are in the public eye at all times and will be expected to demonstrate appropriate safety, project and youth corps behavior. Uniforms and safety gear must be worn while working on projects.
Weekly Work Schedule:
Like all RMYC crew leaders in the field, the Field Coordinator role is considered a 24/7 position. Work load will vary throughout the season (more information below). The Field Coordinator will follow a crew visit schedule, coordinated with and approved by the administrative staff. During the conservation season work hours may vary dramatically depending on the needs of the crews and their location. Field Coordinators will be expected to participate in all aspects of the program if appropriate when visiting a crew including overnight camping, nightly education facilitation, and project site objectives. Most of the work will be field based managing the logistics of crews.
Season schedule overview:
Field Coordinator start date: April 30th, 2017
During the 2 weeks leading up to Crew Leader training (April 30-May 11), Field Coordinators will participate in RMYC’s Field Coordinator Training. Which will include hard skills training, management and crew life training and logistical preparation for Crew Leader Training.
Crew Leader training start date: May 11th
Once Crew Leader training begins, this is the busiest time of the year for Field Coordinators. FCs are expected to participate throughout all of training, essentially acting as crew leaders for the 20 or so crew leaders. This time frame offers little alone/free time and FCs are expected to role model RMYC Crew Leader behavior. The majority of this training time will be spent in field.
Crew Member start date: June 1st
Field Coordinators will assist Crew Leaders and RMYC staff with crew member orientation which lasts 2 days June 1-2. After orientation, all crews will travel to their field projects!
The first weeks after orientation are generally busy for Field Coordinators and will involve a lot of drive time between crews helping with tool issues, personnel issues, and any logistical problems that may arise. By midsummer, there is generally more time in between visits as crews become more self-sufficient. While the Field Coordinator role is considered a 24/7 position as all our crews are, as the season continues, there will be times that the Field Coordinator can work in personal time in between site visits and will have more free time.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Assist with pre-season training for Crew Leaders and Assistant Leaders;
● Assist with pre-season set up and packing and coordination of gear;
● Directly supervise crews in the field.
● Model appropriate judgment and leadership skills for leaders, assistant leaders, and crew members;
● Remain in the field for a significant amount of time providing constant logistical support for crews;
● Serve as Crew Leader (with a crew 24/7) as needed;
● Conduct regular meetings with Crew Leaders (and other corps members as necessary);
● Collect paperwork from crews to be turned into RMYC Admin Staff;
● Distribute tools, crew gear, and paperwork to crews as needed;
● Report regularly to the RMYC Admin staff;
● Support the physical and emotional well being of all corps members;
● Maintain schedule of crew visits and provide crew member transportation between crew visits as needed;
● Plan, organize and facilitate supplemental training and education activities;
● Perform duties expected of any corps member including trail work, meal preparation, cleanup/setup, and other day-to-day duties while on crew;
● Plan and coordinate approval of crew recreational activities and travel with Director of Personnel;
● Participate and help facilitate training workshops, field training and mid-session training;
● Adhere to and enforce rules and regulations as specified in the RMYC Employee Guidelines Handbook;
● Uphold and enforce RMYC policies and regulations;
● Wilderness First Responder and Adult CPR certification required (or more advanced certifications)
● Previous Corps leadership experience preferred
● Familiarity with corps model and conservation skills
● Strong background in trail construction and maintenance techniques
● Knowledge and ability to use a chainsaw preferred
● Leadership experience with young adults ages 16-25
● Sound judgment and ability to model and implement RMYC policies and procedures
● Proficiency in low impact camping techniques
● Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently, self-motivated and confident
● Ability to clearly and effectively communicate written and orally
● Appropriate risk management skills
● Clean driving record (Driver’s License background check required)
● Pre-service background screening required including FBI background check
● Must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
● High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred
● Ability to meet physical and work environment demands of the position
● Must be at least 21 years old (RMYC driving insurance policy)
The Field Coordinator position is classified as a Seasonal Exempt position.
Rocky Mountain Youth Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Rocky Mountain Youth Corps is committed to the inclusion of members with all levels of ability. Reasonable accommodations are available upon request. This program is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation, or religion.
P.O. Box 775504 Steamboat Springs, CO 80477 www.rockymountainyouthcorps.org
Job Start Date: 4/30/2018
Application Deadline: 10/15/2018
Additional Information: https://www.rockymountainyouthcorps.org/employment
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)