Indian Dunes Native Plant Team - Project Leader
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.
Leader Dates, including pre/post season tasks: 8/24/15-12/4/15
• Ensure successful, quality, and timely work for a five person team.
• Guide crew dynamics and facilitate teamwork
• Actively manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environmentTechnical Advisor:
• Assist in the technical skills training of corps members
• Manage the quality & technique of work performed
• Promote leadership development within team and evaluate success & potentialPartnership Representative:
• Manage relationship with agency partner
• Work collaboratively with agency on program logistics
• Ensure successful and timely completion of work projectProgram Administrator:
• Communicate with SCA field support staff
• Complete required program reporting and documentation
• Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
• Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & proceduresQualifications:
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Infectious passion for working outdoors in all weather
• Prior experience supervising long term volunteer groups in an outdoor setting.
• Experience working with young adults (18-25)
• Experience with invasive plant management, i.e. landscaping, gardening, seed collection, invasive plant removal, and plant ID.
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
• Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
Desired Skill Set:
• Current Wilderness First Aid or higher/CPR
• Previous work in conservation corps, environmental field work, or environmental education.
• Experience with herbicide use and backpack sprayers.
• S212 chainsaw certification, or Game of Logging certificationCompensation based on skills and experience, starting at $545/week
Job Start Date
Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.