Contact Name: Nick Marcet
Company/Organization/Agency: Student Conservation Association
Address: 50 Vassar Farm Ln., Box 006, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603 USA
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (845) 255-4758
Job Title: Parks and Trails Assistant
Job Description: SCA Hudson Valley AmeriCorps partners with State and non-profit agencies to address the conservation needs of the Hudson River Watershed region. Corps members are placed at individual host sites, where service activities range from providing environmental education to underserved youth, to restoring streambanks along the Hudson River, and beyond. Members join together regularly for trainings, service projects, or other events.
Member Position Summary:
This SCA internship will focus on work that will help fulfill the mission for our parks to be models of environmental stewardship and management in the Hudson River Valley. As a member of the Parks Team, the candidate will assist staff with the management of over 16 parks and preserves throughout the Hudson Valley. Work will include frequent and regular visitation to Scenic Hudson parks (75% independently, 25% supervised) to insure a high level of cleanliness and order. This includes inspection and maintenance of gateways, trailheads, trail system, public amenities and infrastructure. It includes but is not limited to the use of power and hand tools and a basic level of experience with the use of these tools is required. When in the field, the Parks and Trails Assistant will be expected to interact with park visitors to communicate park rules, be able to provide basic information about Scenic Hudson’s mission and the park’s amenities, and answer general questions. The candidate will also monitor trail conditions and create work logs to be entered into a database. The candidate will assist with Scenic Hudson programming and events as needed, which may require occasional evening and weekend hours.
• Routine visitation of Scenic Hudson managed parks to maintain cleanliness, insure informational kiosk structure and sign panels are clean and in complete order with adequate supply of maps, brochures, and event information; to regularly monitor and maintain all park trails including adhering to a trail lopping schedule; inspect and repair park infrastructure (i.e., benches, bridges, boardwalks, kiosks, entry signs) and respond to issues of vandalism and graﬃti; learn to identify park and trail improvement projects and coordinate volunteer workdays to complete these improvements; and work with Scenic Hudson’s land stewardship coordinator and natural resources assistant (SCA) from April through June to manage invasive plants on park trails and grounds. (50%)
• Assist with the management of newly acquired fee land properties. This includes, but is not limited to removing potential safety hazards, monitoring and securing boundaries, mowing and gateway maintenance. (25%)
• Oﬃce organization and maintaining field observations into our work log. (Approximately 1 day per week.) (5%)
• Assist in conducting annual monitoring of our parks, and fee lands as per Land Trust Alliance Accreditation Requirements (5%)
• Assist other team members with events and programming in Scenic Hudson parks when needed. (5%)
• Participate in all SCA Corps-wide trainings and service projects, as well as project evaluation and reporting. (10%)
Essential Functions of Position:
Parks and Trails Assistant - the SCA member will work at parks and properties owned and managed by Scenic Hudson throughout 10 counties of the Hudson River Valley region. The member, as part of a team, will conduct sustainable land management activities with a goal to protect and enhance natural resources, create and improve public access for people to connect with nature. The member will work independently to monitor and maintain trails to keep them clear and safe for visitors. The member will engage with the public whenever possible to offer information about Scenic Hudson, park regulations and features, and upcoming events.
Short term goals - Will be measured by the SCA member’s ability to work independently in the field, manage time eﬃciently, and keep our parks in the highest level of cleanliness and order.
Long term goals - The SCA member will become competent in park and land management, basic carpentry, proper techniques in trail layout and construction, trail improvement methods, and proper time management.
Job Start Date: 5/22/2017
Application Deadline: 5/19/2017
Additional Information: To view the complete position description including next steps on how to apply, please visit the SCA website: https://www.thesca.org/serve/position/parks-and-trails-assistant/po-00723233
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)