Contact Name: Alyx Ruzevich
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 USA
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: SCA Assateague Island National Seashore- Native Plant Corps Project Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire three young adult members for the Native Plant Corps summer program in Assateague Island, MD.
Program Dates: 6/3/2019 - 9/25/2019
Teams conduct exotic invasive plant mapping and removal using a variety of techniques, and restore native plant communities. Members collect and enter data, and assist with invasive species mapping utilizing technology such as GIS. The Project Leader is responsible for the field supervision of the team, logistics, and working with the partner throughout the course of the season. The team works with agency partners in the mechanical or chemical removal of invasive species, or in the restoration of native plant species. Members learn restoration techniques and apply them to restore native habitats using various methods including: planting native plants, collecting seed, applying herbicide, removing shrubs and trees, monitoring, and recording planting data, and invasive plant removal. Work may also involve the propagation of native plants in greenhouses. Team members must be willing and able to hike through marsh, sand, and maritime forests while carrying up to 50 pounds of equipment and to work extended hours outdoors in hot, wet, humid and/or buggy conditions. Housing and field-based meals are provided, but may require significant camping for the duration of the program. Details depend upon the type of work, agency partner, and location.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, managing crew housing, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Experience working with youth or young adults (18 or older), teaching or environmental education a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
• Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Personal vehicle highly recommended
Compensation: $600/week total salary, plus travel allowance. Housing provided.
Job Start Date: 6/3/2019
Application Deadline: 5/3/2019
Additional Information: To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application. Emailing is the only way to alert us that your application was submitted.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)