Contact Name: Alyx Ruzevich
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 USA
Email Address: email@example.com
Job Title: SCA C&O Canal Maintenance Crew & Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified leader and intern applicants to be part of a young adult team at Maryland’s Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park.
Crew Leader Program Dates: 6/3/2019 - 5/1/2020
Locations: 3 crews at Williamsport, MD and 1 crew at Potomac, MD
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 7:00 am - 3:30 pm
Training Provided by NPS: Chainsaw, Basic First Aid, CPR
This project is to support the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park maintenance staff with routine daily maintenance activities at the Williamsport and Potomac, Maryland shops. Primarily, this project requires crews to remove vegetation from historic stone culverts, locks, ﬂumes, abutments, walls and any other historic stone structure within the park boundaries that the NPS deems the need for vegetation removal. The summer team of members will be employed for the summer (15 weeks), while the crew leaders will be employed year-round (48 weeks). Housing is not provided for this team and as such local applicants are preferred.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Experience working with youth or young adults, teaching or environmental education a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
• Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must have personal housing arrangements in the program area
Leader Compensation: $800/week total salary, benefits eligible (health, dental, vision, retirement, PTO, paid holidays); chainsaw and BFA/CPR training included
Job Start Date: 6/3/2019
Application Deadline: 5/3/2019
Additional Information: To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application. Emailing is the only way to alert us that your application was submitted.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)