Contact Name: Hannah Jo King
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 USA
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA Fire Corps Project Leader - Bighorn National Forest
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for the Veterans Fire Corps in Bighorn National Forest, WY. You do not have to be a veteran to lead this team.
Training Dates: April 9th – 11th 2018
Program Dates: April 19th – August 11th 2018 (10 weeks for members, 2 weeks member training, 3 additional weeks site preparation and wrap up for leader)
The Veterans Fire Corps is comprised of post-9/11-era US Military Veterans receiving essential training, credentials and experience to competitively pursue wildland fire and/or forestry careers. In this internship members will serve in teams of five with an experienced SCA Project Leader. Teams may work in National Forest, National Park and/or National Fish and Wildlife Service units in South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and/or Florida.
Corps members will become familiar with federal agencies via fire training through multiple disciplines such as wildlife ecology, botany and resource management. Team Projects may include, but are not limited to, participation on prescribed fires, fuels reduction, fire effects monitoring, trail maintenance, wildlife and wilderness monitoring, educational outreach, and pre-fire preparation of burn units. A typical schedule consists of four consecutive 10-hour days with three days off.
Wildland firefighting demands a high level of fitness to work in diﬃcult environmental conditions, including steep terrain, extreme temperatures, altitude, and smoke. Members will be required to pass the Work Capacity (Pack) Test at the “arduous” level. The Pack Test consists of completing a 3-mile hike with 45-pound pack in 45 minutes. Physical conditioning prior to the start date is highly recommended and physical training will be conducted during the term of service.
• Act as a Crew Manager guiding crew dynamics and facilitating teamwork
• Function as a Technical Advisor assisting in training corps members to complete quality work
• Serve as a Partnership Representative managing relationships with agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
• Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must be able to attend mandatory Project Leader training: April 9th – 19th in Oakland, California
• Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
• Experience working with young adults, teaching in an educational environment a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
Compensation: $600/week total salary
Job Start Date: 4/9/2018
Application Deadline: 4/9/2018
Additional Information: To Apply: Visit us at www.theSCA.org and click "Apply" to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)