Contact Name: Russell Hirschler
Company/Organization/Agency: Upper Valley Trails Alliance
Address: PO Box 1215, 326 Main Street, Norwich, VT 05055 USA
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (802) 649-9075
Job Title: Trail Programs Director
Job Description: Upper Valley Trails Alliance
Trail Programs Director
The Upper Valley Trails Alliance seeks a full-time, experienced Trail Programs Director (TPD) to lead our expanding trail design, construction and maintenance efforts. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with professional trail building skills to expand a proven program.
Reports to: Executive Director
Full or Part time: 30-40 hours per week salaried position, including occasional evening and weekend work. Benefits include vacation, sick leave, and 11 holidays a year, and a retirement package. Flexible weekly schedule for the right candidate.
The Trails Program Director will manage a diverse portfolio of trail design, building and maintenance projects, and, in collaboration with other Trails Alliance staff and volunteers, will work to implement the organization’s broad array of events and community-based programming.
Develop: Work with local trails organizations, landowners and volunteers to design, build and maintain public trails.
• Manage a growing portfolio of trail design, construction and maintenance contracts.
• Partner with other local groups to ensure volunteer support for trail projects.
• Pursue new community relationships to expand trails and trail networks across the Upper Valley.
Educate: Expand regional trail maintenance and development efforts through educational outreach and special outdoors events.
• Support Trails Alliance youth programs, such as our High School Trail Corps and Passport to Winter Fun, to cultivate the next generation of trail users and stewards.
• Design and teach skills workshops to expand trail maintenance knowledge of Alliance partners and UVTA volunteers.
Advocate: Engage in community outreach through partnerships, presentations and advocacy focused on furthering local trail development and connections.
• Seek to achieve partnerships that further the Trail Alliance’s vision of a connected network of community trails.
• Convene regional trail planning meetings aimed at connecting trails across communities and educating local advocates on the benefits of regional trails.
• Represent the mission and vision of the Trails Alliance at meetings with local officials, town planners and regional and state agencies.
• Assist in the writing of grants, letters and articles.
• Develop interpretive information and signage for trails.
• Help with fundraising efforts.
Specific requirements include:
• Experienced team leader passionate about the outdoors and trails in particular who has a strong record of partnering with colleagues and others, particularly volunteers, to complete assignments.
• At least three years of experience in designing, building and maintaining a broad variety of trails.
• Significant experience in hardened trails and rock work (stone steps, rock cribbing, stone walls).
• Broad carpentry skills including bridges, trail shelters, bog bridges, and kiosks preferred.
• Knowledge of trail tools (loppers, shovels, grubbing hoes, pick mattocks, etc.) and mechanized equipment (chainsaw, woodworking tools, etc.) and their maintenance.
• Working knowledge of sustainable trail standards and practices as well as the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
• Proficiency in GPS usage and mapping technology preferred.
• Successful record of working with community volunteers. Trail crew leader experience is strongly desired.
• Strong management skills overseeing complex, multifaceted projects.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details.
• Passion for the missions of the Trails Alliance.
Job Start Date: 3/15/2017
Application Deadline: 2/1/2017
Additional Information: Please send resume and cover letter by February 1, 2017, to
Russell Hirschler, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Upper Valley Trails Alliance
PO Box 1215
Norwich, VT 05055
Electronic applications preferred.
More information about the Trails Alliance can be found at www.uvtrails.org