About the Professional TrailBuilders Association (PTBA)
The Professional Trailbuilders' Association represents the leading edge in sustainable trail development; we believe in trail design, construction, management and advocacy that enhance resource protection, recreational opportunities, economic development, active citizens, and connected communities worldwide.
The Professional Trailbuilders' Association brings great trails to life; we advance the trails industry through professional design, construction, advocacy and education.
Supporting quality trailbuilding since 1976
Founded in 1976 as the Western Trailbuilders Association and renamed in 2004, the Professional Trailbuilders Association (PTBA) is North America’s largest private sector group of trail specialists, professional trail contractors, designers, and consultants.
All of PTBA’s activities support quality trail design, construction, and maintenance for all types of trails in all types of locations. In its early years, PTBA served to define and nurture a new industry—private trail contracting for the federal government, primarily the USDA Forest Service. This was quite successful, and PTBA enjoys respect and a good reputation from federal agencies.
Now, with the ongoing loss of federal trail expertise through retirement and ever-increasing trail and greenway work in state, county, municipal, and special district governments, non-profits, and private landowners, PTBA’s services have grown to include the activities listed below.
PTBA's Primary Activities
- Promoting professional trail contracting and consulting as cost-effective ways to design, build, and maintain high-quality trails;
- Establishing the importance of sustainable trails realized through skillful trail design, construction, and maintenance;
- Helping trail contractors improve skills and abilities;
- Marketing the services of members to federal, state, and local governments, special districts, non-profit organizations, and private landowners;
- Providing networking opportunities between members and the wider world;
- Serving as the organized voice of private trail contractors with governments and other organizations; and
- Hosting the annual, national-level Sustainable Trails Conference to further the above goals.
Trail (b)Log: Latest News of the PTBA
Trails are our passion. Please submit the form below and we will answer your question to the best of our collective knowledge.