Contact Name: Hannah Jo King
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 United States
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA Desert Restoration Corps Project Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire four students for the Desert Restoration Corps program.
Training Dates: August 20th – August 31st, 2018
Program Dates: September 16th 2018 – March 16th, 2019
Location: Crew housing in the Yucca Valley, CA area. Crew projects will be field based in southeastern California.
Responsible for daily management and supervision of a Conservation Corps project in either a backcountry or front-country site with members 18 & older. Manage member and group safety and development while working on conservation projects. Represent SCA on-site and coordinate with Agency partner on designated project(s).
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US.
• Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
• Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: August 20-August 31, 2018
• Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification required by the start of training
• Experience working with young adults 18-25 years old, teaching in an educational environment a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. habitat restoration, trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Act as a Crew Manager guiding crew dynamics and facilitating teamwork
• Function as a Technical Advisor assisting in training corps members to complete quality work
• Serve as a Partnership Representative managing relationships with agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget
SCA’s Desert Restoration Corps (DRC) is a partnership between SCA and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Since 2001, SCA members have been at the forefront of developing and testing addressing a variety of desert conservation projects. From monitoring, preserving, and repairing fragile habitat to maintaining trails and ensuring safe recreation areas, the DRC has been instrumental in supporting the BLM’s management of the Mojave and Colorado Deserts. The Desert Restoration Corps Team – comprised of 4 members and 1 leader - is scheduled for a 6-month season.
The crew will be based in southeastern California and travel to various worksites throughout the California Desert District to work on projects in partnership with the BLM. Projects may include, though are not limited to: water, wildlife, and resource monitoring; invasive species monitoring and management; trail work and assessment; fence construction/ removal; trail maintenance; public outreach events, and Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) restoration.
During field-based hitches of up to 10 days in length, the crew will live and work out of tent camps in close proximity to worksites. Occasionally, projects may require the crew to backpack into Wilderness Areas. Field-life is rugged, and while on hitch, members should expect to live without electricity, running water, and cell phone reception; additionally, while on hitch, this program is alcohol and substance free. Members will typically have 3-5 days off between hitches. For crew will have housing in the Yucca Valley, CA area, and will use this housing as a base of operations for their project and members will be permitted to reside at the house during days off.
Compensation: $600/week total salary, paid biweekly and benefits eligible. Housing and field-based meals provided. Tents and group gear provided.
Job Start Date: 8/20/2018
Application Deadline: 8/1/2018
Additional Information: To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume and 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
View Position Online: https://www.thesca.org/desert-restoration-corps-project-leader
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)