Contact Name: Darren Gruetze
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 United States
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA Pittsburgh Youth Conservation Crew Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school aged students for the 2019 Pittsburgh Summer Community Program.
Program Dates: June 24th through August 9th
Training Dates: expected: June 3rd through June 24th (mandatory paid training)
As Crew Leader, you will be working with a co-lead to guide and inspire a team of 11 high school aged youth from Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. The crew will be 60-75% service work such as trail building, habitat restoration, and erosion control, and 25-40% teaching environmental education and job readiness skills. Project monitoring, budgeting, and data collection will also be required throughout the season.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Experience working with and supervising youth or young adults (14-18 years old)
• Background in teaching, environmental education, social work, psychology, or other helping profession
• Experience with conservation work skills or manual labor skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 6 hours per day, exposed to the elements and occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
• Must be able to attend paid Crew Leader training: expected June 3rd through June 24th
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must have personal housing arrangements in the Pittsburgh metro area
Compensation: $600/week for training and program weeks
Job Start Date: 6/3/2019
Application Deadline: 4/30/2019
Additional Information: To Apply: Email a resume and cover letter to Pittsburgh Program Manager Darren Gruetze at Pittsburgh@theSCA.org. Qualified applicants will then be asked to fill out an online application.
View Position Online: https://www.thesca.org/pittsburgh-summer-community-crew-leader
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)