Contact Name: Hannah Jo King
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 United States
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA East Bay Regional Park Trail Corps Project Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire Young Adults for the East Bay Conservation Corps programs.
Program Dates: May 2019 to March 2020 (exact dates TBA)
Training Dates: April 8, 2019 to April 19, 2019 (mandatory paid training)
As a Project Leader, you will oversee the management of a ten-month trail project in partnership with the East Bay Regional Park District. This project will aim to address a backlog of trail projects throughout the East Bay Regional Parks and provide professional development opportunities for young adults interested in a career in environmental stewardship.
Comprised of 121,397 acres, the East Bay Regional Park District provides for the preservation of natural and cultural resources for residences in the densely populated Alameda and Contra Costa counties, directly across the bay from San Francisco. With over 1,250 miles of trails, spread across 73 parks, East Bay Regional Parks are often the first places residents look to for outdoor recreation.
To support an increase in use of their trails and a backlog of trail projects, an SCA trail crew will work with East Bay Regional Park District staff on a variety of trail projects throughout the Park District. Projects may vary widely in location and scope, including but not limited to trail maintenance, social trail restoration, installation of erosion structures, and clearing of trail corridor.
Project work is expected to be physical and demanding. It will not be uncommon for crew members to have to hike in uneven terrain, carry a heavy pack and tools, and work in the elements.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, managing crew housing, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Experience working with youth or young adults (18 or older), teaching or environmental education a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Experience working with East Bay communities and the local environment preferred
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
• Must be able to attend Crew Leader training: April 8, 2019 to April 19, 2019
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
• Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Housing is provided
Compensation: $600/week total salary, paid training, housing provided, benefits eligible (health, dental, vision, retirement, PTO, paid holidays).
Job Start Date: 4/8/2019
Application Deadline: 3/1/2019
Additional Information: "To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume and at least two (2) professional references. Once your application is complete, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
View Position Online: https://www.thesca.org/east-bay-regional-park-trail-corps-project-leader
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org"
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)