Contact Name: Stephen Cohen
Company/Organization/Agency: Vermont Youth Conservation Corps
Address: 1949 east main st., Richmond, Vermont 05477 United States
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (802) 434-3969
Job Title: Conservation Crew Leaders
Job Description: VYCC Crew Leader and Assistant Crew Leader Positions
Seeking experienced leaders to spend a season guiding youth and young adults in Vermont and North Carolina. Positions are three to five months, with start dates of March 22nd and May 25th. This fun and challenging leadership opportunity begins with a paid residential training program on VYCC’s 400-acre campus.
As part of a crew leading team, you will serve as a teacher, work supervisor, and role model for a crew of five to eight Corps Members. You and your co-leader will guide your crew to successfully complete important projects in conservation or agriculture. Conservation crew projects include: bridges, stone staircases, trails, habitat improvement, state park infrastructure, and erosion mitigation. You will build a community, oversee the health and safety of your crew, and teach both life and job skills. You must be ready for a challenge and enjoy working with young people (15-24 years old).
“I’m glad for this chance to learn how to develop not just myself, but an entire group of young leaders. I’ve acquired skills from simple things - organizing weekend activities, dividing chores, creating a meal plan. Every day Members grow and change, and I make sure to keep up with them the entire way.” – Thomas, 2015 Crew Leader
Compensation includes competitive weekly pay, room and board. Some positions are eligible for an AmeriCorps education award.
Additional benefits: pro-deals and discounts on outdoor gear; scholarship of $1000 available to
VYCC alumni accepted to attend Sterling College; discounted tuition at Green Mountain College. Gain and hone technical and leadership skills with training and support from VYCC’s experienced staff. Some positions may also gain non-competitive eligibility for federal jobs after serving on federal land or other “appropriate projects” for at least 640 hours of their service.
• Applicants must be 22 years of age for Crew Leaders; 20 years of age for Assistant Crew Leaders
• Hold a current First Aid/CPR certification by start date (Wilderness First Responder for Crew Leaders).
• Ability to adapt and be flexible in a variety of situations
• Strong work ethic and ability to work long days in challenging conditions
• Conservation: Trail work, carpentry, and/or watershed work experience preferred
• Agriculture: previous farming experience encouraged, but not required
• Leadership experience with diverse groups of young people; outdoor leadership experience preferred
• Maturity, optimism and a sense of humor
• Belief in VYCC's mission to teach personal responsibility
• A good driving record and a valid driver's license held for a minimum of 3 years
• Willingness to undergo a criminal background check
Positions are filled on a rolling basis, with preference given to early applicants. Submit a resume, cover letter, and at least three references along with your application. Apply now @ vycc.org/join
Vermont Youth Conservation Corps
1949 East Main St.
Richmond, VT 05477
(802) 434-3969 ext. 200
Job Start Date: 3/22/2017
Application Deadline: 3/22/2017
Additional Information: Apply at vycc.org/join
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and visit the website for additional greatness!
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)