Contact Name: Alyx Ruzevich
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 United States
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA GulfCorps Prescribed Fire Corps Crew Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA) seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for the Preservation Fire Corps.
Program Dates: January – May 2020
Training Dates: January 2020
Locations: Perdido, AL and Bristol, FL
Under supervision of The Nature Conservancy, the crew will conduct prescribed burns, prepare fire lines, and complete other conservation tasks. The leader will work and live with a crew of 4-5 members (18+) that have completed at least one season as a GulfCorps member. These crew members will come from diverse backgrounds and may not have fire experience. In addition to having strong conservation work skills, we are looking for a leader that is emotionally mature and can motivate and inspire crew members.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
• Act as a crew leader for four to five young adults (18+) to inspire and teach crew members, promote healthy group dynamics, and facilitate effective and productive teamwork;
• Function as a technical advisor, assisting in training corps members to complete quality work with guidance and direction from The Nature Conservancy supervisor;
• Serve as a partnership representative managing relationships with the agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects;
• Perform tasks as a program administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget; and
• Work variable hours (long days and/or weekend), at remote locations, on diﬃcult and hazardous terrain, in varying weather conditions, and under physically demanding circumstances.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
• Current Red Card certification with 1 – 2 years of fire and ecological land management experience;
• Experience managing crews of young adults in an outdoor setting and working with environmental agencies to plan and complete a project;
• Ability to operate various types of equipment in a safe and eﬃcient manner (e.g. chainsaw, tractor, two-way radio, etc.);
• Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management and natural resource preservation;
• Ability to complete tasks independently with respect to timeline(s);
• Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g.; Word, Excel, Web browsers); and
• Clear communication via written, spoken and graphical means.
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age;
• Must have ability to legally work in the US;
• Valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards required;
• Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards;
• Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: Jan 2020;
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training;
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
Compensation: $650/week total salary; Housing and food are provided.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line. This is the only way for us to know your application has been submitted.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
Job Start Date: 1/6/2019
Application Deadline: 8/30/2019
Additional Information: To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application. This is the only way to alert us that your application was submitted. SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity. For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)