Contact Name: Hannah Jo King
Company/Organization/Agency: The Student Conservation Association
Address: 1230 Preservation Park Way, Oakland, CA 94612 United States
Email Address: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (510) 832-1966
Job Title: SCA Veteran Fire Corps Great Plains Region- Project Leader
Job Description: Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for the Veteran Fire Corps summer programs in the Great Plains of the western U.S. *You do not need to be a veteran to apply.
Program Dates: May - August, 2019
Training Dates: 4/22/2019 - 5/3/2019 (mandatory paid training)
Locations: Medicine Bow- Routt National Forests, Nebraska National Forests, Bighorn National Forest
The Veterans Fire Corps is comprised of post-9/11-era US Military Veterans receiving essential training, credentials and experience to competitively pursue wildland fire and/or forestry careers. Corps members will become familiar with federal agencies via fire training through multiple disciplines such as wildlife ecology, botany and resource management. Team Projects may include, but are not limited to, participation on prescribed fires, fuels reduction, fire effects monitoring, trail maintenance, wildlife and wilderness monitoring, educational outreach, and pre-fire preparation of burn units. A typical schedule consists of four consecutive 10-hour days with three days off.
Wildland firefighting demands a high level of fitness to work in diﬃcult environmental conditions, including steep terrain, extreme temperatures, altitude, and smoke. Leaders must pass the Work Capacity (Pack) Test prior to the position start date. The Pack Test consists of completing a 3-mile hike with 45-pound pack in 45 minutes. Physical conditioning prior to the start date is highly recommended and physical training will be conducted during the term of service.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Experience working with young adults, teaching in an educational environment a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
• Current Red Card and S-212 certifications, preferred Firefighter Type 2
• Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification (Wilderness First Responder preferred)
• Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training in April
• Preferred skill set: Experience leading fire crews, “red card” (Firefighter Type 2) certification, forestry, outdoor education and/or related subjects: plant identification; map & compass skills; camping skills; enthusiasm for the outdoors; and a sense of adventure.
Compensation: $600/week total salary, travel allowance, housing and meals provided.
Job Start Date: 4/22/2019
Application Deadline: 4/22/2019
Additional Information: To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application. Emailing is the only way to alert us that your application was submitted.
View Position Online: https://www.thesca.org/veteran-fire-corps-great-plains-region-project-leader
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
(Sent via Professional TrailBuilders Association)